Thursday, November 19, 2009

Skillet Beefy Mushroom with Potatoes


This recipe is a different way to cook ground beef especially when you have run out of ideas and are trying to stretch a dollar.  It is quick, easy, and inexpensive.  I fry my potatoes up before I do anything.  I know you could add them to this and let them cook, but I like the fact that it doesn’t take long to do, and it tastes great.

Ingredients

1-2 lbs ground beef
4 regular size russet potatoes
1 can cream-of-mushroom soup
1-2 tsp Kosher Salt
½ - 1 tsp Course Ground black pepper
1 tsp Garlic powder
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
¾ - 1  cup of heavy cream of milk
½ cup of beef broth (optional)
cooking oil to fry potatoes in
shredded cheese (optional)

Instructions

Slice your potatoes into very thin oval slices.  You can leave the peel on them – that is optional.   I do this while my cooking oil heats up. Try to make them all the same thickness so they cook the same length of time. Fry them in the cooking oil and set aside. You may have to make two batches, so do this before you prepare the meat.  When you are done, add a little oil to a skillet to lightly coat the bottom of the skillet.  Add your ground beef.  I don’t add any seasonings until the meat has finished cooking so I can drain off the fat without losing all of my seasonings.  So after you brown the meat, drain the fat.  Then season the meat with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper.  Next, add a can of cream-of-mushroom and combine.  Add the cream or milk and the beef broth if you have any.  (I use either cream or milk – which ever I have on hand. If I have broth on hand, I add a little, too.) This will make a gravy.  Add the potatoes and stir.  Allow everything to heat up then serve like that or you can add cheese prior to serving it.  It tastes great both ways.

No comments: