Saturday, April 4, 2009

Perfect Grits





Who cares if you know how to make perfect grits anyway? Sometimes I feel like I can relate to that remark! But, I’m adding the recipe below for my daughters, and maybe someone else will appreciate it as well. Sometimes we take for granted that some of the easiest recipes could taste a whole lot better!

I have always known how to make grits because the recipe is right on the bag, but until watching Food Network on TV and trying different recipes have I learned how to make “perfect grits”. The only difference is adding a little milk instead of water. I’m a southern girl, so I grew up eating grits. Anyway, I was never taught to put milk in the recipe. And I had never eaten “cheese grits” – but they are delicious. I can’t remember if those were made with milk or broth, so I’m not putting that in my recipe. I think they would be delicious with milk. Anyway, cheese grits make a great side dish for a main entre` especially if your other side dishes are getting old and boring. Just cook the grits and melt cheddar cheese in them prior to serving. Everyone has their own way of eating grits. When I grew up, we were taught to mix our fried eggs up in the grits. If you have never eaten them this way, you ought to try it. However, there are others, like my husband, who don’t care for grits and only eat them with sugar on them – similar to rice pudding. One of my twin sons, does this as well. Well, I hope you enjoy this recipe.

This recipe below will serve about 4. If you only want to feed 1-2 people, then cut the recipe in half.

Perfect Grits

INGREDIENTS

2/3 cup - Quaker 5 minute grits
1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 tsp Kosher salt (I always eyeball this, I never measure it – just don’t put too much, you can always add more at the table – too much salt will ruin the recipe)


COOKING

Add the water and milk to a 4 quart saucepan. Add salt. Cook on Med - high until it starts to boil – you may want to put a lid on it so it boils faster. Stir every now & then so the milk doesn’t scorch. Once it boils, add the grits and turn heat down to Medium. Stir with a whisk to get all the lumps out. You can turn the heat down to Med-Low and let it finish cooking or wait the 5 minutes and then turn the heat down to low or the grits will scorch until ready to serve.

No comments: