Saturday, April 4, 2009

Southern Potato Salad






My husband’s family taught me a quick way to make potato salad that I want to share with everyone. I used to wash my potatoes and slice them when I cooked them, but his family couldn’t believe that I went to so much effort. Also, if you like chunky potato salad better, then you will love this recipe. It has the same ingredients that I had always put in there, but this is my husband’s and my youngest daughter’s favorite recipe.

When you cook the potatoes, you don’t even wash them – that is if they came from the store and not your garden! Otherwise, you need to scrub the heck out of them first! Did you know that cooking them this way takes just as much time as cooking them sliced? I didn’t either, but it’s true. It only takes about 15-20 minutes. Slide a knife into them to check for doneness. Also, I usually cook them an additional 10 – 15 minutes, because I noticed that when they are really soft, the skins just peel right off, there will not be any potato clinging to the skins. You can do it either way, but I think the latter will yield more potato. The skins can be removed with a regular table knife – no need for a sharp knife here, but if you cook them an extra few minutes, you won’t even need the knife, they will peel right off with your fingers.

Also, just a note for boiling eggs. I once heard that to make the perfect hard-boiled egg, you boil the egg for 1 minute then remove from heat for 12 minutes. I boil my eggs for 2 minutes, because I find them a little undone the other way. Just don't forget to let them sit for 12 minutes.

Old Fashioned Southern Potato Salad

INGREDIENTS

5-6 Med-Large Potatoes
5 hard boiled eggs (the rule is 1 egg for each potato, that is what my in-laws go by – I usually just go under the number of potatoes and it comes out fine)
2-3 TBS dill relish (some people prefer sweet, but I encourage you to try it this way first)
1 TBS mustard (regular yellow – not grey poupon)
1-2 tsp Paprika
1 cup of mayonnaise (not miracle whip – Kraft Real Mayo)
Salt & pepper to taste

In a large stock pot, boil 5 –6 potatoes until tender. Read the paragraph above for cooking them. Peel potatoes and add chopped boiled eggs in a large bowl. Add mustard and mayonnaise and combine. Add the other ingredients and seasoning to taste. If the salad seems too dry, add more mayo. Sprinkle a little paprika on it before serving. Most prefer to eat this salad warm, so if you refrigerate it, it may be warmed up in the microwave. Also, it tastes wonderful with baked beans – try Bush’s they are excellent.

You may add chopped celery or onions to this recipe, but I never cook with onions because my husband is allergic to them. Either way, I hope you enjoy this recipe - especially with hamburgers or with an outdoor barbecue.

No comments: