Monday, May 4, 2009

Chicken Salad






This recipe is a take from Luby’s chicken salad. I used to love eating it and the tuna salad with crackers for lunch during my work week. However, I have not seen a Luby’s in Pensacola – just Piccadilly’s. Luby’s used to be my parent’s favorite place to eat. So I am familiar with a lot of their dishes. I have also seen this recipe called “Almond Chicken Salad”, but it doesn’t include the grapes and seasonings. I think you will find that by adding the green grapes and seasonings to this, makes a wonderful light lunch.
The only negative thing I have to say is it will not keep long in the fridge due to the mayonnaise and grapes. So only make what you will eat in about 4 - 5 days.

Chicken Salad

1 ½ - 2 cups cooked chicken cut into bite size pieces or cubes (oven roasted, poached, or rotisserie work the best)
¼ cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped green onions
¾ cup green grapes sliced in half
¼ cup toasted nuts (almond slivers, walnuts, pecans, etc)
½ cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. ground mustard
1 tsp. garlic powder
1-2 TBSP orange juice

Preparation

In a large bowl, add your ingredients listed above combine and chill. This salad tastes wonderful with crackers. The curry powder and ground mustard gives it a flavor that will make you crave the taste of this salad.

My serving suggestion is to serve it on a bed of lettuce with crackers.

As always, I make mine without the onions because of my husband’s reaction – heartburn and indigestion, but they really go well with this salad.

No comments: